Mat 09x Assessment Results
A total of 312 students participated in the assessment process. This includes 146 students who took the assessment test online and 166 students who were assessed via final exam questions in class. This is the first semester that the online version of the assessment test was available. These assessment figures represent 46% of the total Mat 09x enrollment, well above previous participation rates.
Proficiency goals were assessed on the basis of final exam questions drawn from the assessment question pool for Mat 09x.
The successful student will:
1. be able to perform arithmetic calculations on real numbers and understand the order of operations. 86% met or exceeded expectations.
2. use variable notation and be able to simplify and evaluate algebraic expressions. 81% met or exceeded expectations.
3. be able to solve linear equations in one variable. 82% met or exceeded expectations.
4. know the rules of exponents as applied to variable terms. 80% met or exceeded expectations.
5. be able to add, subtract, and multiply polynomials. 74% met or exceeded expectations.
6. know how to factor polynomials using greatest common factoring, the grouping method, trinomial factoring, and difference of perfect squares. 67% met or exceeded expectations.
7. be able to graph linear equations with two variables in the rectangular coordinate system. 68% met or exceeded expectations.